Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to find out of size of existing model?

How to find out of size of existing model? 4 months 3 weeks ago #5262

• BB
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi!

I am new to delftship. I have a delftship model someone else designed (fbm format). Now - sorry for this simple question - my problem is that I cannot determine how large the boat actually is. I know that at the end it was cutted and its a model, so something like 30cm times 90cm. How can I determine this in delftship?

And in general: Where can I set the size of a model in delftship?

When I have an existing model: Can I just change the size to a larger size, lets say it should be 40 times 100cm and Delftship does everything else automatically? Can I set the length to another size (e.g. 100cm) and Delftship automatically calculates the correct width to keep the scaling of the original model correct?

Thanks for your help!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to find out of size of existing model? 4 months 3 weeks ago #5263

• BB
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I now found an answer to my question: I choose the view "Top". Then I click on control net. Then I mark the single lines and at the bottom it then displays the sum of all the marked lines as edge length. This is my length in m.

How to find out of size of existing model? 4 months 2 weeks ago #5267

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi BB!

Excuse me for the delay.

My answers will be based upon the old version I use, but I assume it didn't really changed...

1. What's the model's size?
You can find the model's stats you're interested in under the last tab "Calculation & extensions" then "Design hydrostatics".
Among the very first data you'll alight on "Design length/beam" (length/width decided before drawing... because sometimes you may change your mind :whistle: ), "Length over all" (actual length of the drawing), "maximum beam" (actual width).

Be careful: The "length over all" doesn't include the model's parts unconcerned be hydrostatics calculation (boom, crane, etc.) neither the hull's part drawn with a negative X coordinateb] (Designer fellows, get into the habit of drawing with positive X coordinate only!).
You can check for this by asking the coordinates of the rearmost point of the model: Under the tab "Home", click on the convenient view's title bar (to select it), toggle the "Wireframe display" on (transluscent hull on the right hand), and the "Show control net" on, too (nine points forming four clustered squares, on the center). Then click on the convenient point (hull's stern, boom, crane, etc.) to get its coordinates, ideally, X=0; if not note this X coordinate (I'll explain you below how to move the model so its stern will be at the X=0 coordinate).

2. How to resize the model?
First of all, deselect all (just in case the point is still selected) by pressing the "ESCAPE" key on your keyboard (if you don't, you'll get weird results).
Under the "Tool" tab you'll find a new toolbar. By its center, click on the "Scale" button. You'll be presented a dialogue box mentionning all the layers and, theorically, all of them will be already checked in (this means the whole model is selected). Confirm.
Then a new dialogue box will appear. Type the resizing factor in the convenient boxes. "1.0" means "no change" and "0.1" mean "divide by 10". Confirm.
That's all! B)

Note: Besides the "Scale" button you'll find the "Move" button. Use this one to move the model to the X=0 coordinate. It works the same way than the resizing operation. Just type in the faulty X coordinate you noted upper in the convenient box, and remember to change its sign (if it was positive make it negative, if it was negative make it positive). This will move the model the convenient direction and distance so the "Design hydrostatics" data will be reliable.

3. Delftship will do exactly what you ask it to do, just give it the convenient order with the convenient data. You may have to calculate your resizing factors appart.
Example:
If your model size is 90x30 cm and you want a 100x40 cm model, the longitudinal factor will be "1.111" and the transverse factor will be "1.333". Note: This example is based on the measurement you mentionned, so both factor are different. This means your model will be deformed (wider than required), so use the same factor for all three axis (don't forget the vertical axis!) to get a well proportionned model.

I hope this answers your questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BB

How to find out of size of existing model? 4 months 2 weeks ago #5269

• BB
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks a lot for this comprehensive answer! Much appreciated!
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds