Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Newbie needs help!

Newbie needs help! 3 weeks 1 day ago #5094

• RHendon
  • Fresh Boarder
Have just dowloaded DelftShip free and am in need of tutalage...anyone have time to help a complete neophyte?
Thanks tons!
Hendon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie needs help! 3 weeks 23 hours ago #5095

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Welcome Hendon!

You can download the manual from the download page (the very same page you found the software on) . It's pretty well made.

My suggestion to a newbie: Do not try do design immediately your model, but read the manual, download models from the database, play modifying them. And once you'll master the tool you'll be ready to draw your own ship.

Anyway, you'll find help here on the forum.

Good luck! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RHendon

Newbie needs help! 3 weeks 21 hours ago #5096

• RHendon
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much, Icare! Will certainly download the manual if I can find it...I know, however, that I am going to learn best if I can sit down beside someone and get some one-on-one instruction. I am in Portland, Oregon...are you by any chance nearby?
Cheers,
Hendon

Newbie needs help! 3 weeks 21 hours ago #5097

• RHendon
  • Fresh Boarder
Icare, I got it...it's in the bag. For some reason, this window did not open on my new PC were the DelftShip is downloaded, but no problems on my Mac. WOOHOOHOO!
Hendon

Newbie needs help! 2 weeks 6 days ago #5098

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
RHendon wrote:
... I am going to learn best if I can sit down beside someone and get some one-on-one instruction. I am in Portland, Oregon...are you by any chance nearby?...
I'd be glad to come and show you how I use the software... provided you pay me the travel... I'm in France :whistle:

I really do think the best way to learn is to discover each command in the manual and immediately try it and play with it using an already made model.

The main points are to understand that:
-You'll work a surface by modifying it.
- This surface can be divided on different layers (tracing papers, not layers of material!).
- Once your surface is splited (by removing junctioning panes) it will be impossible to reconnect the separated parts.

If you can understand these three points, you'll be spared half of the potential problems. B)

Newbie needs help! 2 weeks 6 days ago #5099

Hi I am new myself. I tried using some existing models but they are too developed... too many features... and I got confused.
I then created a very simple hull, like an Optimist hull but with a bow, a transom (obviously) and two stations. Just two stations and three points per station... a half model only, of course.
I entered the coordinates and there was some learning with the Add point feature.
Then I added surfaces. Edges do not form without surfaces. And learned about corner points. Then I saved it. This came in handy when I made some serious mistakes and decided to go back to the original shape just to restart.
Then I decided to split some edges to enhance the curvatures. Then split the grid... then remove the chine lines and round off the hull... gradually it all started to make sense.
And on and on until I felt I could "risk" a more complex hull. At which point I developed the hull that is now my avatar.
All along I used the manual AND the tutorial to get unstuck.
I still do not know it all but I feel I can do a pretty good sleek hull out of points.
I want now to try using lines drawings imported into DELFTship... that will be next.
I hope this helps. It is a pretty nifty tool, but remember, it does not correct all your design flaws by itself. Use Gauss and the zebra tool to clean up the fairing. Turn the model around a lot and play with changes to the different points coordinates. Go back to wireframe and turn the model around and move some points and go back to Gauss... see what happened. Often it is a neighboring point that is causing the shading (curvature) you do not want to see.
And you will get the hang of if. This tool looks more daunting than it really is.
'nando

Newbie needs help! 2 weeks 6 days ago #5100

• RHendon
  • Fresh Boarder
Nando_Adios, everyone is being so gracious to me...thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I think I may be at the point you mentioned...the available model is too developed; will try starting from scratch. Haven't had a chance to sit down with it in two days, but I believe this software is going to make sense to me sooner rather than later. I so wish I could open DelftShip and talk to a knowledgeable user on the phone while I try to make my chicken scratches.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Hendon

Newbie needs help! 2 weeks 6 days ago #5101

• Maarten
  • Administrator
Hi Icare, Thank you for helping new members- your input is always appreciated!
Just one observation on the side: You -can- reconnect separate parts, and we do it all the time. Simply select 4 (or 3, or 5) points (2 on each surface edge) and Add a surface. Do make sure the points can naturally hold a surface... The order in which the points are selected is important. It determines the normal direction, and if the points were not selected in a continuous (counter)clockwise direction, strange 'hour glass' shaped surfaces may be created...

Newbie needs help! 2 weeks 6 days ago #5102

Hendon,
you are welcome. Regarding your idea of a phone call, where are you? I am in Lisbon, Portugal.
In the meantime I had another thought.
When you start entering points it is easy to lose them as they may go out of sight. If the keel of your "test model" is on the X axis, then use the front, back, side views, together with the zoom button that fits everything on the screen to keep track of your points. It is tempting to use the "perspective view" but it can create a confusing view of apparently randomly located points. Once you have all your points, rotate the image in perspective view and then start connecting faces. The comment about the clock/counterclockwise selection of points is important.
If you think a basic model can help, I will be glad to send you my "test dinghy" model that you can start with.
I was also rather frustrated when I started. I use Sketchup extensively and I had to do a mental shift to get the hang of DELFTship.
'nando

Newbie needs help! 2 weeks 5 days ago #5103

Hi Hendon,

here is a small rowing boat I mentioned with plenty of opportunity for corrections and experimentation.
The original drawing is a flat bottom boat but I modified it a bit.
I hope this will get you venturing into DELFTship.
Have a great weekend.
'nando
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds