Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Offset tables

Offset tables 8 months 4 days ago #5077

Hi dear DELFTship community,

I exported an offsets file generated by DELFTship (free edition).
I manually modified it with data from to a drawing generated on Sketchup 3D 2017.
When I tried to import it into DELFTship I got an "invalid numeric input" message.
The manual shows numeric values with "decimal points", but the file from DELFTship shows "decimal commas".
I tried both and got the same message.
I am attaching the offsets file that I created.
Can someone point me at the errors?
Attached are a couple of pictures of the hull I am trying to model.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
I am new with DELFTship.

Thank you
'nando aidos
Attachments:
'nando
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Offset tables 8 months 3 days ago #5080

• jayoh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Shipwright Boatbuilder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think there are still some problems with the import/export of offsets. I have also had trouble and have tried exporting offsets from DS and then importing them without success. A work in progress I fear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nando_aidos

Offset tables 8 months 2 days ago #5082

Thanks. Didn't try exporting and importing again... but now I am not going to insist.
But I entered all the offsets by hand. A bit of a chore but it worked.
Now I have a model to start playing with.
Looks like a neat tool this DELFTship software.
'nando

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5203

• jim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Maybe I can at least relate my experience in importing an offset table. I created it in an excel worksheet with measurements I took off a builder's half model. Even though I thought I had it in the right format and saved it as a text file, I couldn't get it to import into Delftship. I discovered that in the process of saving it, excel was changing the decimal places layout.

So I made a notepad text file by right clicking on the windows computer screen, choosing "new" and then "text file". I transferred the excel file to that (a tab delimited file) and it saves the format. With that, if imports into Delftship readily. Having said that, I've still got some issues to figure out with my offset table, as the resulting lines drawing isn't 100% right yet, but I don't think there are any issues with the importing.

By the way, I looked at your offset table and noted a couple of things. First, your decimal layout is with the European comma annotation for the decimal, whereas mine is the period. I don't know if that matters. You've got four decimal places, and i think the manual calls for three. I didn't put any text in mine, as I assumed the "// Number of waterlines", etc. were in the manual as a label - I may be wrong. Also, I don't know about the "//"'s within the table in yours.

If anyone sees anything wrong with above, please shout, as, as mentioned, my lines drawing isn't right yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nando_aidos

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5210

Hi Jim,

thanks for taking a look at my offset tables.
I am definitely try your suggestions.
The table I built were not tab delimited.
I will let you know soon.
Thanks again,
'nando

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5212

• jim
  • Fresh Boarder
You're quite welcome. On the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words, I recreated the offset table that's in the manual, just so that I could see the result and understand the imputs. There's still a small problem with the product, especially in the bow. The trouble is, I did this stuff a few months ago and just haven't gotten back to it. But those files are attached for your perusal.

Again the offset table was done in a notepad text file.

File Attachment:

File Name: delftshipexample.fbm
File Size: 41 KB

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5213

• jim
  • Fresh Boarder
I think this should be the table:

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5214

• jim
  • Fresh Boarder
The file extension on the notepad offset table wasn't recognized to load, so this is a picture of what the table looks like.
delftshipexampleoffsettable.jpg

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5215

I did the few adjustments that you suggested and it still did not load. But when I changed to decimal point it all went in. The table has data errors but the format is accepted. I made all the changes and so now I do not know which made the critical difference. I am going back and make one change at a time...
The plot thickens...

Note: when I exported the table it was exported with decimal commas. This had to be changed to decimal points for the table to load.
'nando

Offset tables 4 months 2 weeks ago #5216

The decimal point on input is the critical path!!! Even though DELFTship exports with decimal commas.
'nando
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds