Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plate dented in - how to sort it out?

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5006

• Masrapido
  • Fresh Boarder
Does anyone know how to sort out the dented nose, as per attached image? Appreciate any constructive comment.

Attachment Nosedentedin.jpg not found

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5007

• Maarten
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
I am not sure which aspect you refer to- if you want the crease edge along the top to be straight, you can use the align function, which will project all selected points on selected axes. Please see the manual for details.

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5008

• Masrapido
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe this will help.

Aligning is not a solution due to the geometry of the tip of the model. It's the boundary edges that are pulling the plate ends out and are creating the distortion. I saw some models (when they were accessible from this site) with the properly designed nose of a similar shape, but did not download them at the time and now have no idea which ones I saw, to look at their solution for the end shape...

Attachment Nosedentedin.jpg not found

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5009

• Masrapido
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry for the multiple messages but the forum doesn't allow me to edit the messages and it keeps reverting to the first image, and deleting it. Hopefully this time it came out right.
Nosedentedin2.jpg

The tip is unsightly and I would like it to look proper, as it should.

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5010

• Maarten
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
Our online model database is now accessible from DELFTship itself:
simply select New Project (CTRL-N) -> Online model database.
I hope you find your solution there :)

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5011

• Masrapido
  • Fresh Boarder
Maarten, with all due respect, I was looking for a constructive advice (from anyone). I am aware of the option in the Delftship, but I am using the Freeship, which doesn't have it. Being pressed with time, I posted my question to see if someone had dealt with this issue before and could share their experience.

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5012

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
¡Hola Masrapido!

I'm not sure I understand your problem, but I think you need do draw a diagonal line in the lateral panel (soft edge).
Why so? Because you have to consider the drawn surface as elastic. The superior and the front edges of the panel are pulling the surface towards the plane of symmetry and curve it toward this plane. The diagonal line I suggest would prevent this kinda collapsing... well... I hope so...

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 4 weeks ago #5014

• Masrapido
  • Fresh Boarder
Que tal Icare.

No space for diagonals, unfortunately, as you can see on this image. It's already a triangle at the tip. The plate is pushed in at the tip, in the red circle. It's quite visible and an eyesore. I was going to ignore it and smudge it up with gypsum on a printed model, but every time I open the file and see it I cringe...

I tried with more soft edges across the tip, in transverse direction, but that only makes the indent smaller - a bit.

Nosedent3.jpg

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 3 weeks ago #5016

• Icare
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
(Answer written before your last post)

I'm back after trying to re-create the problem.

I quickly generated the default hull and closed the volume with a deck... and I didn't alighted on your problem. Obviously you didn't closed the deck the same way I did...

But I noticed there was a depressed area near the down part of the bow. So I began playing with the top and down parts of the bow, creating and filling up depressions.

Conclusion: There must be a missing line or an excess point in your drawing.

I hope the annexed commented screenshots will help you understanding what you've to do.

After reading your last post: after seeing the screenshot I think you're using much too many lines to define your volume. Remember: the simpliest is the best.

Finally, I think it's possibly a problem of graphic rendering. Check it with the "slice lines" (Verificalo con la visualizacion de las rodajas)!
An other way to fix it may be to dull the stem shapeness (Un otro modo de arreglarlo quiza seria de desafilar el filo de la proa).

Plate dented in - how to sort it out? 5 months 3 weeks ago #5017

• Masrapido
  • Fresh Boarder
Gracias Icare por tus comentarios. You may be right about the lines/points either missing or having excess. I'll try to run the boat through PolyCAD and see what happens there. Don't think the number of the lines would be the culprit. But right now anything is posible.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds